Friday, September 30, 2011

What You See.

all my folly cannot distract you
from the beauty that beams from my heart, captivating you again and again
even as i stumble

all the rags i wear cannot hide
the gold you see inside, a temple where your eyes and heart are drawn to
even when i'm unfaithful

all my broken promises
do not keep you from reassuring me
that you will never leave,
and that your love is here to stay

you are not surprised by my waywardness
disappointed by my falling
you do not give up on me.

for when i am walking on eggshells, heart bloodshot in fear
about to cave in
i hear your love rush through, loud and strong
the same
as when i could dance and sing, and lift my eyes
strange, but so real in this valley of death

no depth, no height, barred from angels and demons to touch
the amazing power of your love

always stronger than i think
with an eternity to testify, of its devotion

darkness cannot understand it, measure it, defeat it

for it never fails

my eyes will find their gaze in you
my lips will offer praise again

though the thief comes to steal, and kill, and destroy

i will turn towards you
turn, and turn, until i cannot look away anymore
and i will not even hear the sound of chains breaking
in the triumph of heaven roaring over me, your voice surrounding me
like the waters.

in your eyes, no hint of shame, no recollection of the old
but the fire that i have only gotten glimpses of
burning with zeal, with joy
as i look at you.

we have ravished you with one glance of our eyes
but we will not turn away this time
we will walk, we will run back

I let go
of my past, my mistakes, my accomplishments, my ideals
princes and forgeries

to find myself New.
Utterly and irrevocably new in the wake of the resurrection,
bought and wanted by someone more fearful, more wonderful
than all i could have ever dreamed.

to wake up every morning
with your mercies anew, to a Father that loves not what i do,
but delights
in my sitting, breathing, even before i choose anything.

to never have to feel alone again, for you are with me until the very end
your hand upon me, tending to me with oil when i am broken,
lifting my head when i have lost sight of everything

to always have hope, because you fight for me
and you will not lose me to anyone.

cherished, valued, crowned, robed, honored
time and time again

for you are a good God,

and a great, great, great father.

No comments:

Post a Comment