Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Thousand Suns

so i wrote this poem on 3/29/10, in my dorm room during time with the best friend.

----
Part the willow's leaves
and come find me
in deep waters where I let no one rescue me.
But I know you hear my cry across the waters
You walk across to get to me

How did I find myself out here?
And forget what I look like, though reflections
surround me

I can't do nothing but carve my soul on the
driftwood, poor man's poetry
naked before the sun to dry, never reaching
man's eyes

But you bend down to read.

Is there an art to conversation?
But David's been here before,
and he testifies
that you know us, you search us,
you know our ways.

Peeling back the layers is rather painful,
but if that's what it takes to trade my
heart for yours, let the surgery continue.

You are so patient
with uglyness, so gentle to handle
rocks lashed by furious waters
so kind in the face of
monstrosity.
Still, gracious and compassionate
after all these years

My love, I will gather
in its pieces and brush them off dusty shelves
to give to you.
Please, help me give everything
I would love to trade
these ashes for your beauty
and give you something to move your heart.

Keep these eyes fixed upon you,
my master, my Father, my Lover
O to burn a thousand suns
with our passion
and let the world yearn for what we have

Could this be the time?

Arrest my heart, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment