Thursday, October 22, 2009

An answer to His question

8/18/ 09
8 am 




the question that always falls from lovers' lips 

who am i to you? 


i want to know.

am i like the flowers gathered by the side of the road that make you smile when you walk by, or am i more like a rose that you didn't pluck because you wanted me alive
am i a summer's evening or a spring morning?
am i a shoulder you want to lean on in the dark, or just a hand to hold in the light?
am i paper that you can print on and bury all your secrets in? 


*

Who do people say I am?
They replied,
'Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets. 


But what about you?
Who do you say I am? 

This question, asked by eyes that search the heart longingly,
every morning
to a people whose eyes are averted
the other way
so they can only say 


what others have said, not knowing the waters of your heart
that contain more than we can hold inside 


so here is the confession
that rips the ground from underneath my feet,
and suspends me above depths with no end
because my heart is burning within me and it can't
stay inside this corpse
any longer 


so i couldn't stop it from flying out when the words fell from my lips, 

"You are the Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment