Thursday, October 22, 2009

Firsts

11/29/08

in the midnight hours
cold, quiet with slivers of moonlight catching dust in this room
i look for life 

the life that you gave to me that day as i lay dying
breath bleeding out of me, murdered by this world
the light leaving my eyes until you found me
you found me 


you told me your story, of how you
knew me,
of how you were nailed to a Cross 2,000 years ago
for the crimes of humanity 

because you love the ones behind bars
enough to free them with your blood
to call them your own 

you know all about flesh
you know all about dirt
you know all about pain
you know all about heartbreak 


they call you God because they think you're high and lofty, distanced an eternity away from this speck we call earth 

but i call you God because you dare to be so close to your creation
closer than ocean and shore, closer than
the air we breathe 
 


before any of us let a tear fall 

you cried. 

before any of us could dance and chant with the thunderstorm 

you laughed 

before any of us could utter a word 

you wrote poems, you weaved compositions you took the essence of language and made it your crown 

for we are made in Your Holy image, and what we are
is but a glimpse of who you are 

you, the only one worthy of self 


so as i sit here
like many nights before when my soul
resigns weary, and my heart is a storm
i look for life 

remembering who i was
who i am 


and who moves the very sands of time
down hourglasses of crystal perfection,
stopping only to stun this world with grace
upon grace upon grace upon grace, 

He whose name is Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment