Thursday, October 22, 2009

Restart

when i get lost in the world's traffic
mind all over the place with not a breath to spare
you tell me to be still, and know that you are God 


yes, i know
and then i accelerate to the freeway yet again
reading the billboards instead of your words,
the world and its people a blur inside this machine
where i'm safe 


but i'm going nowhere,
hurtling towards death to the mainstream soundtrack
deaf until you break down the engine so that i have to pull to the side
of the road, and be still 


and in those few seconds that i was always scared to let free
you washed over me,
in a way that only you can, gently lifting my head and paving the way
for a conversation.
I love you.
I love you, child.
Here I am, come to me and live. 


Always, from morning to night you speak this to me as I shut myself in my vehicle. 


Grace and mercy.
Repent and live, I am sufficient alone. 


So for every thousand words you speak I move a millimeter, beating you
a hundred times only to love you once with my
murderous heart. 


A rusted engine on the side of the road, with a failure in the driver's seat
learning to hear the love song of God, of divinity that pursues even unto death
the three words find their way out of a maze in the most unexpected ways 


so i sit still, and soar inside
when i see myself as the child
in your hands
made to be with you, sanctified by your blood
enabled to love freely
and touch your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment